Saturday, July 18, 2009

When the Abnormal Becomes Normal

7.4.09


“Maye Kuhlupheka kuyevana.”

Misery strikes where there is poverty.

I am awoken by a woman singing these words outside our homestead- crying and screaming.

Here it is common knowledge. Here where there are 70,000 orphans living in Swaziland another 60,000 living in sickness, poverty, and food insecurity. “10 percent of this nation will be orphaned- a first in history.” Children are forced into parenting sibilings and families are forced to care for other people’s children making their own poverty rise. My family included. Swaziland has the highest HIV rate in the world. “16,000 people die as a result of HIV each year- 45 people a day. Life expectancy has dropped from nearly 60 years in the 90’s to just over 30 years today. Each weekend people are buried.” The desperately ill are sent home to suffer and die with their poor families who have no knowledge of how to care for the sick. “70% of this population live below the poverty line.” The norm is poverty. The norm is violence associated with sex- with innocent children. Men believe they own these women as property- disposable goods. Young girls abused.

They are accepting the unacceptable and the abnormal has become the normal.

When all these statistics are thrown at us in class my fellow PCT’s are wanting to discuss in agonizing length about how horrible their new host families are treating them. What they have to eat, never any alone time. Granted my family is absolutely amazing- leaving me time to think about more important things. I raise my hand, “I’ve been speaking with young men and married women and I am realizing more and more why this disease is punching a hole through the Swazi population. Men. They’re commuting for work- they’re sleeping around- they’re bringing it home to their wives. They’re beating their wives if she goes and gets tested behind their back. They’re refusing to get tested themselves. How do you convince how do you force a man to get tested- to care. I know I cant convince. But can you imagine- if the King- publicly went and got tested. Telling the young men of his country that it is not taboo and that you should get tested.” My group is silent. Did they too just realize all this educating,convincing, and prevention work we are about to embark on for the next two years could be avoided if the King would just give up a little bit of his blood- a message that could save his country.

It’s July 4th. Peace Corps has arranged a ceremony for the PCT’s- an introduction to Swaziland hosted by PCV’s, LCF’s, our country directory, ambassadors, and ministries. We sit and listen to lectures, “We need your help.” Sarah Morrison (standing U.S. ambassador here in Swaziland) stands up. She begins, “At 36 I had realized I needed something more to my life. So I joined the Peace Corps.” She begins to cry. She pulls it together. “I promised myself I would not cry. Ah- OK. Peace Corps in Liberia, changed my life forever. What you are about to experience will stay with you. But it’s not I who can really tell you what your work will do for others- I brought my dear friend from Liberia with me. He has asked to say a few words to you all.”

Sometimes it amazes me how different Africans look- country to country. He stands and addresses us. “I am here today to tell you a story. A long time ago- there was a boy in a small town of Liberia who spoke very little English- who was so afraid of the city and people. He hid behind his classmates- he did not think he would ever graduate. But then- one year- a Peace Corps volunteer came to his school. She taught this boy how to use a computer, she taught him English, she brought him to the city. This boy graduated- he went onto University. He left the slums of his homestead. He became a representative of his town, his city, his country. He is now leader of foreign affairs in Liberia. He is internationally speaking out for those Africans who cannot. I am here today because of people like you. This Peace Corps volunteer, she saved me. Just as you will save others. And most the time- you won’t ever know it. I am convinced that Peace Corps is the best foreign international policy there is. Sometimes I go back to my village to visit. I realize how far I have come. How uncomfortable I am now without electricity and running water. No sanitation, poverty and sickness all around me. To think all of you have chosen to come to this. To give up everything for the next two years- ohhh we thank you. Don’t ever forget you are making a difference. You are our eyes and ears on the front lines. You are the ones living it- understanding it. We thank you.”

Sarah closes with Obama’s speech he had written for our Independence Day. It’s only been a week and already we feel so disconnected from our country. As I wipe the tears from my face I look back at the rows of volunteers behind me- those who will be with me on the front line- my fellow Americans- all here to make a difference.

Finally, I belong.

We are the Peace Corps.

No comments:

Post a Comment