Sunday, July 12, 2009

We Got Soul But We Aren't Soldiers

6.23.09


"You are now property of the U.S. Government."

My attention wraps around these words- no longer am I sitting in agonizing pain repeating over and over "Tomorrow you will be in Africa Tomorrow you will be in Africa." My two year journey begins with a 7 hour lecture.

Peacecorps D.C.

I arrived alone at our nation's capital- the most America of America. A movie set- surreal full of history. The architecture, the statues, the monuments, the catherdrals, the art, Abraham- Obama. To be here- alone- magnificant. Capturing moments with my new camera.

As I neared the Washington Plaza- the meeting point for all the PeaceCorps Trainees (PCT's). I studied every person walking my way. Wondering if we were about to spend the next two years together. How did you get here at this moment? When can we bond over all the PC BS. When can we discuss our family and friends similar reaction when we told them we were going to Swaziland.

I head to the lecture hall to being the bonding and the lectures of the What to Expects and What not to Dos. At each table, an "icebreaking" booklet to make the getting to know your fellow PCT bonding experience go a bit more smoothly. As if a bunch of liberal arts majors needed guidance in socialization. I close the book. Just as I'm about to dig myself into the socializing- I have a memory. My mother saying to me, "Now Mere- Don't go bashing Peace Corps right when you meet everyone. First impressions are everything."

"So how about that intro to Swaziland DVD they sent us?! Huh- anyone?!" I exclaim. "Oh my god I know!" They shout back. Suddenly we're bond bashing- nice.

Story after story flooded in. People have been jerked around and waiting 6 months, a year, a year and a half, two years, over two years. Someone finally tops me. First it was West Africa for us- now South Africa. First June, August December January then March now June again. Some, including myself, given a month and a half notice. We all wanted this bad.

7 hours of you WILL wear this, you WILL hate this at some point, you WILL be careful, you WILL take your malaria drugs, you WILL listen to your PCMO (peace corps medical officer), you WILL stay out of politics, you WILL look right THEN left, you wont travel alone LADIES, you wont travel at night LADIES. If for any reason any of us feel we have been at risk of infection Peace Corps has a supply of PEP (post exposure prophylatic) on hand. 100% effective when taken within 72 hours of transmission with HIV.

So im gathering- if im a woman, single, young,opinionated- especially on politics and gender equality, talk before thinking...me me me. This will be a challenge.

This will be a challenge for us all.

I am with like minded people here. Sociology, anthropology, communications, theatre, psychology. We've all acquired the kind of majors that make your parents laugh and ask you- ok now what- once you've graduated. We want to help.. MOM. We want to understand.. DAD. Humanitarians I suppose.

Humanitarians who haven't a clue how to pack. I brought the least here. I could carry on my pack. Mouths dropped and people got that frightened look of, "I think I misread the weight limit email." on their face. Suitcase after suitcase- some bigger than me. Full of high tech sexy gadgets- nano giggabite nonsense. Solios, solar chargers, tiny $300 dollar lap tops, wind up solar panel things, electronic books (kendels?), fancy international cell phones, solar showers, speakers, fancy sleeping bags, multi purpose everything, toothbrushes that turn into binoculars. An REI MAC store marriage- a Mere night-mere. Humanitarians or a bunch of weenies?

There are 32 weenies (including myself- Im a huge weenie), in Swaziland Season 7 (they call us groups- I think season is a bit more clever). 14 of us are married. Seven couples in our group and most are younger than myself. I later found out most couples were in long relationships- wanted to do Peace Corps- decided to get married so they could join.

I heard Peace Corps has decided married couples are best for Swaziland. One woman told me it's easier for married women here. She thought I was married I think. Ironic- the one time I am single- it'd be easier if I wasn't.

The rest of my group consists of single ladies and two very lucky young men. I couldn't help but jokingly high five them and exclaim, "Yeah PC Swaziland!" They pretended not to know what I was referring to- I said, "Oh like you haven't already written home telling your friends- 'Dude, Peacecorps is where it's at.' A bunch of beautiful intellectual traveling bleeding hearts- jack pot."

Our last night in the States we walked the streets of D.C. We said goodbye Obama, take care of our country while we're gone. We know you'll do a great job.

For the next two years I will be a quiet little American girl- refraining from debate and unconditional love for King Mswati III.

But I won't be filler. We are all here- eager to get our hands dirty. We will see love and we will see pain. We are Peace Corps Swaziland Season 7. With our idealistic minds, our solar showers, our hand sanitizers and malaria drugs- we are all determined to make a difference. We got i pods and we got soul- but we are not soldiers.

1 comment:

  1. Mere! I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to read all about your adventures, your triumphs and tribulations. We all miss you! Good luck and be safe. And definitely listen to your PCMO :)

    ReplyDelete